Sunday, October 17, 2010

tooth fairy...

today was a heartbreaking day for me...

we've never really believed in the easter bunny around here. i remember being a kid & completely creeped out thinking some 7 foot rabbit was in my house hiding eggs...chocolate or no chocolate, i just as soon he not come :) the boys just knew mom & dad left them a surprise in a basket...

dodge lost a tooth friday. well friday night was homecoming & the tooth fairy must have been sleepy from watching the big game, and she FORGOT to fly to dodge's pillow. sooooo...saturday night she remembered. dodge woke up sunday morning to 4 shiny quarters under his pillow....AND A QUESTION. "mom...you're the tooth fairy, aren't ya?"  (dawson JUST came to this realization a few WEEKS ago) well, i couldn't lie. i tried like crazy to avoid it...but it just wasn't happening.

then came the next obvious question...."are you santa claus too?"....UGH!! you're killing me son! (dawson also just had this same conversation w/ me a few weeks ago) well, i couldn't lie.  of course, i informed him of my extensive research of the REAL St. Nicholas, and how he left gifts for the children in his village...and how that generous spirit lives on today in our hearts...or something to that effect...we will be reading "yes, virginia, there is a santa claus" very soon....

anyhow, it completely crushes me....part of that magical, if somewhat naive thing about childhood is gone.

dawson (my pack rat) asked me today, "mom, what did you do with all our teeth?"...if anyone knows me, i gave my standard answer: "i threw them away"....well, as i went digging in my top drawer for dodge's latest tooth, i find that one...plus SEVEN more. i guess even i get attached to some stuff. so i looked at all those baby teeth and cried. knowing its silly. knowing i can's stop them from growing up. knowing i'm moving into yet another phase of parenting, ready or not.

so, i went into their bedrooms like i do every night, but lingered a little longer. smelling their freshly showered hair...laying my cheek on their soft foreheads...saying a prayer that i never take any of this for granted...

         dawson is my note writer...this is one of his letters to the tooth fairy from a couple years ago...
                                           a pile of baggies with baby teeth...good grief.
dodge lost his tooth at school..."dont worry mom...nathan found it under the table!"

No comments:

Post a Comment